MARCH ON CANADA ONLINE CAMPAIGN
Welcome to the online activist part of March on Canada! We are honoured to have you join us.
To people with disabilities and those who cannot be present to march with us, your online presence is highly appreciated and important in supporting the march and allowing our message of strength and unity to be transmitted across the world.
We’re hoping to create just as big of a splash in the streets as we do online with your help. Through well-timed and properly hashtagged posts, we can get the women’s march trending world-wide! As an Online Marcher, your help is invaluable to help us spread awareness for the marches here in Canada!
LINK TO DO YOU OWN DISABILITY MARCH SAMPLE PAGE
“If you’re planning a march, please think about doing a Disability Contingent online. All you need is a blog and 20-30 volunteers and/or a self-hosted site that allows you to accept entries via a form that automates the process (we didn’t have that, but apparently it’s not that hard).” See sample below by clicking on the link: https://disabilitymarch.com/2017/01/08/terry-marttinen/
GUIDELINES for INSTAGRAM/FACEBOOK/TWITTER MESSAGES:
WHAT TO POST:
1. A few original tweets is great mixed with retweets.
2. Photo of yourself with a sign with the hashtag #WHYIMARCH and an explanation of why you do march.
3. Go ahead and make a #WhyIMarch video to share on your social media channels. Post them on your social pages and tag us. We will share them! (Check out our Instagram @March_On_Canada for examples.) Posting to Instagram first and then copying the link into Facebook and twitter saves redoing it. That’s if you have Instagram! Otherwise, just post it and do the hashtags.
4. On Facebook, you can still add the hashtags, and post longer. We encourage posting wherever you want!
WHAT NOT TO POST:
1. NO profanity, trolling, hatred, bashing or rude messages. Please keep messages respectful.
2 Humour is fine, but keep it respectful and family-friendly. Pretend your mum is reading it.
PRIOR TO THE DAY: HERE’S HOW YOU CAN HELP –
Below you will find some ideas around what to tweet or take pics of and the central hashtags that we will be using to create the most impact. Please add yours to them, especially in Instagram where it won’t cost you in character counts.
In twitter, you may want to be more choosy, and do one with your message but spread out by posting several times.
We’ve also written some sample tweets that you can just copy/paste. Feel free to use them as needed!
- Canada marches for women all over the world #MarchOn. True north strong and free! We stand in solidarity. @MarchOn_Canada #MarchOnCanada
- I’ll be at the @MarchOn_Canada January 20 because women’s rights are human rights. We fight for equity. #MarchOn
- When women rise, the nation rises. Join me Jan 20 @MarchOn_Canada
- The Rise Of The Woman = The Rise Of The Nation. Join me and @MarchOn_Canada on Jan. 20. #MarchOn #WhyIMarch
- As a disabled person I am joining this march to join hands with my fellow women. Our diversity is our strength, united we can spread our positive message. #MarchOnCanada #WhyIMarch
- #MarchOnCanada. Unite. Resist. Reclaim. Jan 20th. @MarchOn_Canada
- #MarchOnCanada. Women together. We Rise. Jan 20. @MarchOn_Canada #WhyIMarch
- “Women, if the soul of the nation is to be saved, I believe that you must become its soul.” – Coretta Scott King @MarchOn_Canada #MarchOn #WhyIMarch
- I #MarchOn as a disabled woman who suffers from mental illness. I stand strong against discrimination with my sisters. #Equality #WhyIMarch #MarchOnCanada
- We will not rest until women have parity and equity at all levels of leadership in society. Join us Jan 20. @MarchOn_Canada #MarchOnCanada #WhyIMarch
- As a disabled woman I am joining my #sistersofthenorth to spread our message of women’s rights as human rights #MarchOnCanada
- We call on all defenders of human rights to join us on Jan 20! @MarchOn_Canada #MarchOn #WhyIMarch
- Women’s rights are human rights. @MarchOn_Canada #MarchOn #MarchOnCanada
- Although I am unable to attend the march, I rise up with women for justice and equality #WhyIMarch #MarchOnCanada
- We stand together, recognizing that defending the most marginalized among us is defending all of us. @MarchOn_Canada #MarchOn #January20
- We work peacefully while recognizing there is no true peace without justice and equity for all. Join the movement! @MarchOn_Canada #MarchOnCanada
- I am a disabled woman and I am in solidarity for all women #MarchOnCanada
- We practice empathy with the intent to learn about the intersecting identities of each other. Join us on January 20th @MarchOn_Canada #MarchOnCanada
- Unity. Protection. Power. Progress. WOMEN RISE UP. Join us at the @MarchOn_Canada on Jan 20. #WhyIMarch
- ALL ARE WELCOME TO MARCH ON JANUARY 20! Men that means you! #MarchOnCanada
- This is a movement that is led by women, but it is not just for women. It’s for all people @MarchOn_Canada #MarchOnCanada
- I march to affirm our shared humanity and pronounce our bold message of resistance & self-determination. #WhyIMarch #MarchOnCanada
- I march with @MarchOn_Canada because our liberation is bound in each other’s. #MarchOnCanada #WhyIMarch
Other posts/tweets that you can use leading up to the days before:
- 4 days till we March On! Did you RSVP? #MarchOn #WhyIMarch #MarchOnCITYCODE eg #MarchOnYVR
- 3 days till we March On! Did you print your signs? #WhyIMarch
- 2 days till we March On! Did you know where we’re located? #WhyIMarch
- 1 day till we March On! Get excited to march for Women, Justice, Rights, Human Rights, Equity. #WhyIMarch
- Today is the Women’s March! Bring comfy shoes and join your sisters. #WhyIMarch #MarchOnCanada
Help us trend worldwide with #MarchOn, and put the March On on the map. The response has been amazing from grassroots organizers. Double your help by inviting your friends to do the same and share these instructions across social media.
ON THE DAY: HERE’S HOW YOU CAN HELP –
- Join our 24 HOUR TWITTER STORM on January 20, at 10AM EST. (7AM PST)
- All you need to do is join Twitter at the appointed time. Then tweet like mad with the hashtags.
- Sharing a tweet on Facebook to direct users to the Twitter Storm will increase awareness
#MarchOn #MarchOnCanada #WhyIMarch #Sistersofthenorth and #MarchOn(and add your city code, see end of list for yours)
Social Media Links:
Check out the march Facebook Event page & join the supporters (if you’re on Facebook) to keep updated on the latest news.
Official Website: https://marchoncanada.ca/
Facebook Canada March: https://www.facebook.com/cdnmarchon/
Tips from Twitter on trending a topic properly:
The following behavior could cause your account to be filtered from search or even suspended:
- Adding one or more topics or hashtags to an unrelated Tweet in an attempt to gain attention in search.
- Repeatedly Tweeting the same topic or hashtag without adding value to the conversation in an attempt to get the topic trending or trending higher.
- Tweeting about each trend in order to drive traffic to your profile or website, especially when mixed with advertising.
- Listing trends in combination with a request to be followed.
- Tweeting about a trend and posting a misleading link to something unrelated.
#MarchOnzgf Grand Forks
#MarchOnycm St Johns
#MarchOnyyt St Catharines